Monday 9 June 2008

Put On My Happy Face...

There was an interesting article in The New York Times the other day. It was about the pressure on cancer patients to present a positive face to the world. Give the universe a thumbs up rather than your middle finger. A lot of us feel we need to appear upbeat, courageous, positive, even when we don't feel any of those emotions.

Quite honestly, there are times that I will write something in this blog that is more positive than I really feel that day.

I think we do this to reassure our loved ones, and maybe even ourselves. We hear a lot about how important a positive outlook is. It almost makes you afraid to acknowledge a bad day for fear that it somehow will set you back.

But one of the things I've stressed here from the beginning is honesty -- with ourselves, with those close to us, with our doctors, with each other. I think being honest is far more important than trying to present a positive face to the world.

Now, I'm not suggesting that we wallow in depression or anger. I think a positive outlook is important. I just think we shouldn't pressure ourselves to be upbeat if that's not the way we feel.

Living with cancer, you still have good days and bad. Just like everyone else.

No comments: