Thursday 11 December 2008

A Snapshot In Time...

I live by a different calendar these days. I measure my life by the next appointment, the next lot of radiation, times to take my medication.

I realise that the rest of the world is going on about its business. Going to work, on holiday, shopping, all the usual stuff. My friends are all working or at college, measuring their lives by new assignments or reports due. All the things I used to worry about.

I guess today I'm really feeling the split between Cancer World and the normal world. Cancer World, my world, looks a lot like the normal world. But it is so very different.

I've gotten out of the house a few times, but I've pretty much been house-bound for a while now. I know that outside these walls, life goes on. But it's strange not to be part of it. I can almost feel the hum, the rhythm of everything that's happening out there.

When I first got home, the trees in my backyard were a riot of autumn colors. Now they're mostly bare, the leaves littering the ground. Time is passing in both Cancer World and the normal world. I just wish they didn't feel so far apart.

No comments: